Tuesday, June 4, 2013

Game of Thrones: The Red Wedding *spoiler alert*

reaction

While I’ve been incredibly busy with school, work and writing my novel Blood of Zee: Old Blood, New Life, I’ve kept up with my favorite television series, Game of Thrones, based on my favorite book series “A Song of Ice and Fire” by George R. R. Martin.

I’ve read the books several times over, and Season 3’s episode 9: The Rains of Castamere was the event I most dreaded HBO making a reality: The Red Wedding. Throughout the entire episode, every time they showed Rob Stark, played by Richard Madden, I held my breath. And then, it happened. When Catelyn, portrayed by Michelle Fairley (she did such an excellent job bringing Catelyn to life) watched the guards close the door and the musicians began to play The Rains of Castemere (the song dedicated to the Lannisters, detailing their destructive execution of House Reyne) my heart sank deep into my chest. And when she rolled up Roose Bolton’s sleeve to see he was wearing chainmail, the horror, the fear the anger all on Catelyn’s face told me it was time to brace myself, even more than I was already trying to brace myself. Reading the books, I was in shock. Watching the show bring that scene to life, I was floored.

And judging from the exponential amount of chatter on the internet about last night’s episode, I was not the only one. The forums are going nuts with “OMG!”  There’s almost a “readers of the book vs. non-readers” battle a ’brewing. Non readers are tiring of readers of the book spoiling the show for them and readers of the book are tired of non-readers whining about the killing off of characters. The Red Wedding was so horrific that there’s not a Twitter page called “The Red Wedding” with, quite honestly, a hilarious twitter name @redweddingtears because of all the crying and whining going on about the episode. And here’s a fun little video about the books and last night’s episode:
Don’t stop reading the books just because of the Red Wedding

Even celebrities are sounding off on last night’s episode. TheFW have already compiled a video of people’s reactions to “The Red Wedding”.

And although watching the slaughter was devastating, my heart ached even more for little Arya and I was thankful for The Hound, yet again. And Daario. Oh my! I can’t wait to see more of him in the upcoming seasons. I was a little disappointed that Daario didn’t have his signature gold tooth that’s lauded in the books.

Now that I’m mostly over my Game of Thrones induced trauma, I’m waiting to hear a remake of Billy Idol’s “White Wedding” titled “Red Wedding”. I’ve actually been singing it in my head. “It’s a nice day for a red wedding…” Someone needs to make that happen.

Did you watch “The Rains of Castemere” last night? Are you a fan of the books and/or show?

Find Sitter in Your Area!

Get your gear from Militaryclothing.com

MilitaryClothing.com

GSM Nation: No Contract Cell Phones!

Smart Phones Smarter Service